Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Other Road Ahead

In 1998, Paul Graham made a huge deal selling his start-up company Viaweb. It's obvious that he thinking was far beyond the time. This has really got me thinking about ASP (Application Service Provider), is where the next generation of software will be written. This model / concept would probably mean that our CPU would diminish in size, or would we even need one? The iMacs already have computers built in the monitors. Ironically, for some time in the tech industry, we have always been searching for ways to store more memory in a condensed model. Based on Paul Graham's concept, we probably won't be needing much memory on our personal computer in the future. Hulu is a good example -- so it seems very possible that DVDs will become obsolete..

Reading about ASP's -- so embarrassing. For the longest time in my prior job, I had the most trouble explaining what I do and what I operate. I was basically doing content management on the back-ends of an ASP! Everything just came together after reading this article. And now I've gained depth/knowledge about my last job. haha funny..

1 comment:

  1. Yep... I'd guess that everything is moving into the "cloud."

    Were y'all assigned that Graham article for a class? Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete