Monday, January 25, 2010

Google Pulling out of China

In the past few weeks, people have been talking about the possibilities for Google to call it quits if China continues its censorship on the internet. I personally don't think China will bend rules for Google. It's understandable that Google is making a clear distinction to protect its business; however, is this the best way to negotiate for a change in censorship and freedom of speech? It's obvious that Google will be losing a huge account if they pull the plug, and it seems doubtful they may be able to get a second chance. Many of the China's internet services have remained silent about Google's decision, which means they are probably prepared to compete as the new service provider in China.

Censorship and freedom of speech in China
My parents moved to China beginning of 2009. I visited them that summer to see this newly developed city, Shanghai. Shanghai was definitely not what I had imagined in my mind. This city stretches miles long ... and it sure isn't walking distance like New York City. I could not believe my eyes -- the advancements in technologies and the beautiful buildings of old architecture and modern day.
While on vacation, I would often log online to check emails, chat online to keep in touch with my friends. It was only a few days later, when my mother called me over, and asked me, "what sites did you visit?" I blanked, and was confused. What sites? These sites ran across my mind (gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail, facebook, twitter, random blogs.. ) Nothing out of ordinary. My mother was very upset at the time, explaining that the government had already shutdown several sites that she was visiting. Apparently, I may have shutdown another one of her privileged sites. Moreover, she recently had to create a new gmail account, because the government would control emails she can/cannot receive in her hotmail.

It is evident that censorship and freedom of speech in China is a huge problem, especially for foreigners living in the country. It's a difficult adjustment knowing that you have limited rights and access to the rest of the world. In addition, search results and instant messengers are screened as well. If Google does decide to pull of China, this may be the first baby step to influence change on censorship.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Thanks for sharing that personal family story and relating it to the news of the day. I'm curious as to why certain sites make the list while others do not...

    ReplyDelete