Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Should everything be a game?

I'd like to disagree on this comment. Just because Foursquare and Facebook are integrating and building game mechanics does not mean every online community and brand/company site need to jump on the band wagon.

Here's my analogy: Social media, oh it's so great. It worked for Friendster, MySpace, Facebook, blogger sites, etc. Many companies, such as Google, saw this as a major opportunity to better engage and interact with their audience. Look what happened there with Google Buzz. Google I love you, but sorry that was an epic fail.

Gabe Zichermann, who is the CEO of startup beamME, argues that "fun is good and that game mechanics will find their way into all sorts of products and businesses." He suggests the following:

Facebook should incorporate a popularity game so users can more easily gauge their social graph. The game is to encourage to add more friends - ("add two more friends to beat Sam's score"). Users would be awarded when they connect and add more friends.. Are you serious?! This is exactly why MySpace has become loser-land, because people add non-friends, strangers..all of which are potentially creeps. Facebook is about connecting with people you actually know, not random people so that you seem more popular.

Amazon - Zichermann's concept to integrate a virtual library within Amazon, so that you can share books that you have read w/ your friends. This is interesting. Often times, I will either ask my friends to send me a book list, which they never get to OR I mentally take note of a book name and later forget. A virtual library seems perfectly appropriate in this instance, as many people do visit Amazon to seek out reviews for best sellers for purchase.

Fedex - the idea "to connect your social graph to your shipments, letting you see your en route packages on a game board relate to your friends. You could "talk smack" to friends whose packages were sent via ground (or USPS)" This is a stretch for me. I have enough games on my iPhone as is, in addition to all the endless game requests on Facebook. Moreover, I don't need to find Fedex entertaining. I visit Fedex simply to track my delivery estimate, status, get my information and go. I don't need to waste more time there.. need I say more?

Following the trend seems like a smart move and definitely tempting , however you really need to analyze, take a step back and look at your business critically. Before you jump to conclusion and make a rash decision -- What is your main purpose, goal, and who are you servicing? Think twice. Not all consumers would appreciate you force feeding, moreover adding distraction to the service they expect to receive.

Cheers!

Reference: How to make Facebook, Fedex, and Amazon More Fun

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I love that your challenging the increasingly accepted convention that game mechanics are the THING to do.

    My opinions, in case you're curious...
    - Google Buzz. Not a great start but way to early to declare failure. Google Maps was 2nd fiddle to Mapquest for a long time before winning. Their ad platform allows much more time for organic growth.
    - Facebook friending game: I'm with you -- that's a TERRIBLE idea. Maybe an app could reward # of friends but not FB.
    - Amazon list sharing: Is that sorta similar to how you share movie lists on NetFlix? I don't see how it's much of a game.
    - FedEx shipping: I agree that it sounds crazy. but check out the well-liked Zappos real-time order map. http://www.zappos.com/map/

    Ultimately, judos on asking the tough questions. Seems like game mechanics is something everything should consider and ask themselves about, but maybe not act on in every instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post. Just give Buzz a little more time and we'll see. -Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the input both!

    Clint - you're right I'm being a little harsh haha.. but being extreme makes it a bit more interesting to read. Amazon's virtual share isn't really a game, but I think it's a great way to engage users and interact with their friends.

    ReplyDelete